Thursday, December 10, 2009

.......Creations....................................................................................................................................

So I have this knack for making things that I see in stores or in magazines. Why buy, when I can make? I am known for the phrase, "I can make that"...because I can. It seems like such a simple concept. Luckily, I stuck with learning basic sewing skills taught to me by my mother. All those hours having to unpick mistakes has paid off, now making it possible for my to make up my own techniques, trying out new things and inventing as I go. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but they get better with each attempt.


"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties."



My friend Nicole bought me this fabric at a vintage store in California. She said when she saw it she thought, "Oh, Alex could do something with this." for two years this fabric sat and waited until i decided to make it into a sweater.
-inspiration: roommate She came home with a new sweater....naturally I said, "I can make that" and the vintage fabric from California was finally put to good use.



59 cents: YES PLEASE.....

I found this yellow fabric in the scrap section for 59 cents. I had to buy it. Later that night I found a plain shirt in my closet that I never wear and embellished it


I liked the YELLOW shirt so much i made another one...



The First... it began in High School silk screening. This is the first of many... I got the photo from a national geographic magazine and I scanned and manipulated the image into what i wanted. the END RESULT...

1 comment:

austin + courtney said...

oh my gosh Alex! Teach me! I absolutely love those flower shirts and that cardigan! I miss you so much! I would totally buy what you make you're such a beautiful, talented girl! :)